Believe it or not, I get asked all the time about page views, technology to make posting easier, different strategies to enhance your effectiveness in social media. Sometimes the questions can be complicated and sometimes my answers are, too. However, I believe at the basic bottom-line, people are moved out of simplicity. So, my advice always seems to flow in this basic order.
1. Be authentic. Don’t fake it. People love real and they can sense it. Be real.
2. Use video. Rich video is powerful stuff in social media. You can generate a ton of free video yourself around the station, in the market, and with listeners. My advice? Get busy.
3. Use unique visuals. Sad pictures don’t work – unless they’re puppies or really sad. In other words, make your photos and video unique and compelling. Are you interested? If not, don’t share it. Share something that is interesting, compelling, useful.
4. The more local rich content directly connected to your product, the better. You can do this in so many ways. Brainstorm around the station and cluster. What unique experiences can you put in photos and video? Podcasts? Promos? Yeah, you can. Be interesting…put it out there.
5. Don’t forget to throw in a little stupid. People love shock, awe, crazy visuals, happenings. Always has been this way, always will be this way. Make sure your social media has a steady touch of this “crazy” or “stupid” (visually, preferably video).
6. Have fun. People can always sense when you are having fun. Do that…others will follow.
7. Always reflect back to the products that your company owns. In other words, always twist content back to sampling your website or on-air. Why not? Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites don’t need you to help them. You’re there because the audience you crave the most is there and you have an opportunity to engage, validate, and influence. Get busy doing that, and the other things on this list, and you will be excellent.
That’s it. As always, you know I am going to say this: Have a content strategy by percentage that focuses on what you know about your audience and those you want to attract, validate, and influence. Go after them and make them feel smarter, loved, appreciated, and like your radio station is their home in the car, online, at work and home. Give them the fun, unique experiences of radio as it relates to their benefit. That’s the gig.
Loyd Ford is the Direct Marketing, Ratings & Social Media Strategist for Americalist Direct Marketing and works with local radio clusters to launch and grow significant local-direct reoccurring digital revenue with Rainmaker Pathway Consulting. How much local digital revenue are you getting? He works with media brands all across the country to improve ratings and participation with custom contest strategy, telemarketing, strategic direct mail and social media for radio clients and he works directly with clients to boost significant local-direct digital revenue for local clusters. His interests include social media, digital local-direct revenue and non-traditional revenue for radio. And, yes, he believes you should be receiving more share of digital revenue in your local radio market along with higher ratings. Don’t just read. Get engaged in the process. Contact him directly @ 877.475.6864 or Americalist1@aol.com.