How do you get attention and play with listeners in social media? You don’t just post all that national stuff, right?
1. Write a headline that you would care about and want to learn more about right now. If you’re not interested, surely they won’t be. Learn the art of creating exciting headlines that lead to action.
2. Be brief and “twist” your content – even national content – toward your shows and your station. That’s just creating tune-in and you can do it.
3. Think about the kind of photos you use in social media. Photos should also lead people to click. Why does a photo make you go to its source? Consider that trolling through Facebook or looking at Twitter (for instance) is an activity. Your job is to make them want to leave that stream to find out more about your story.
4. It’s more than clicking away from the “stream.” If you want to stay in radio, you want to make them come from social media to your product. Always be thinking about how you accomplish this in all your content.
5. Video. Please. We can do video around the station, backstage at a concert, looking at concert tickets that have arrived, at a music meeting, content meeting, morning show meeting, station event, production room, in the van, and a million other ways with listeners, with experiences, or simply making it up or going about your regular j-o-b in radio.
6. Be interactive. Find ways to ask opinion. Think about ways you can allow people to comment, share, talk about you, your product, your content.
Always, always, always be about them, their interest; make yourself local and have fun. Go out there and get them! They love listening if you care enough to make it the best local opportunity to do so.
Loyd Ford is the Direct Marketing, Ratings & Social Media Strategist for Americalist Direct Marketing and works with local radio clusters to launch and grow significant local-direct reoccurring digital revenue with Rainmaker Pathway Consulting. How much local digital revenue are you getting? He works with media brands all across the country to improve ratings and participation with custom contest strategy, telemarketing, strategic direct mail and social media for radio clients and he works directly with clients to boost significant local-direct digital revenue for local clusters. His interests include social media, digital local-direct revenue and non-traditional revenue for radio. And, yes, he believes you should be receiving more share of digital revenue in your local radio market along with higher ratings. Don’t just read. Get engaged in the process. Contact him directly @ 877.475.6864 or Americalist1@aol.com.