Everyone back to school. Everyone back to work. Fall concerts on deck. Business focused on finishing the year strong and kicking off a better 2015. Can life really be moving this fast? If you want to take advantage of that, you will focus on what the listeners you most want to attract find important rolling into fall. That means in social media as well as in your on-air product.
1. Open up your social media by exploding the visuals in what you do on Facebook, Twitter, and other chosen social media “lanes.” Use rich photos and visual content focused on the fall thoughts of your listeners.
2. Spend time watching local listeners who are influencers of others. What is their activity like on Facebook? What are the local trends on Twitter with these people? Zero-in on your targets by getting close to what the people you most want to attract are attracted to in social media.
3. Think about what makes your morning show, your radio station, and your business famous in your market. Take advantage of those things by making them an important part of your overall social media, but this only means that when you talk about you, that you focus only on the primary messages of your fame. Otherwise, you should be focused on listeners and those you most want to attract.
4. Use hashtags and unique content to connect so that your fame multiplies, but make sure you do this without dominating your conversations with stories only about yourself. It’s tempting to go “wild west” and “run and gun” your social media, but having a specific content strategy that focuses your content on listeners and prospective listeners can keep you on course. Do this (focus a written content strategy on listeners-first) and you will grow participation with the listeners you want to influence in the now.
5. Bring more passion groups into your social media by selecting local meaningful causes and taking opportunities to engage passion groups to become your cheerleader because you take a stand with them on causes they are passionate about now.
You can make more progress than you think if you lay out a plan with your team, execute directly off of your written content strategy, and use the above five steps to get in the conversation with important local listeners and community.
Have fun, be authentic and sincere, and enjoy higher success with your local social media this fall.
Loyd Ford is the Direct Marketing, Ratings & Social Media Strategist for Americalist Direct Marketing and works with local radio clusters to launch and grow significant local-direct reoccurring digital revenue with Rainmaker Pathway Consulting. How much local digital revenue are you getting? He works with media brands all across the country to improve ratings and participation with custom contest strategy, telemarketing, strategic direct mail and social media for radio clients and he works directly with clients to boost significant local-direct digital revenue for local clusters. His interests include social media, digital local-direct revenue and non-traditional revenue for radio. And, yes, he believes you should be receiving more share of digital revenue in your local radio market along with higher ratings. Don’t just read. Get engaged in the process. Contact him directly @ 877.475.6864 or Americalist1@aol.com.