Oh, yeah, you can make a big difference with what you are doing in social media for local radio. Don’t believe it? For the next 45 days commit to these eight items as part of your overall plan for social media connectivity for your local radio brand or brands.
1. Have a social media content strategy that is both rich with words and visuals, but make sure you have a well-thought-out plan that considers ways your brand and personalities can be highly engaging for the people you most want to attract in social media and also that your “plan” involves specific “touches” to bring them back to your own website and over-the-air radio brands (that you own).
2. Content, content, content. No content = no eyes. If you have the right content strategy, you are halfway there. Make sure you are focused on relevant and unique content that is targeting the people in your market you most want to attract.
3. Be consistent once you’ve put your actual social media content strategy together. Don’t allow yourself or your team to do a little bit and go back to “business as usual.”
4. Content is both words and visuals. Don’t leave out the visuals if you want to attract people in your market that you are targeting to engage directly with you, your local personalities, and brands.
5. Learn to make video a consistent part of your variety of posts on social media and make sure you feature compelling visual evidence of why listeners shouldn’t miss your next broadcast, concert, breaking news, local event, and any other fun reason local listeners don’t want to miss what’s next…. with you.
6. Don’t stay only on the surface. You know those people you talk to who are just going through the motions? Don’t be like that. Get “in it” with listeners.
7. Always consider making listeners look smart (for sharing your posts). People share funny, they share passionate causes, and they especially share things that make them look smart. So help them out with your thought process about how you engage local listeners on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms.
8. Care about your listeners and community and make your authenticity show. Make it real, show you care by showcasing what matters on-the-ground in your local market to your audience (or the audience you most want to attract).
You can grow your social media impact this year and make it social media that works…for local radio. Just make sure you have a real plan for content and follow these steps. Enjoy engaging people and helping them and always give them reasons to want to be connected with you. It isn’t about “Like our Facebook page.” The best victories for you will come when they wouldn’t miss it for the world.
Now, go get ‘em!
*Content originally appeared @ RadioInk.com. For more content on radio, go to RadioInk.com. Look for my column on social media and radio on the left-hand side of the homepage behind my picture and the word “Engagement.”
Go to http://www.Facebook.com/socialnetworking4radio and then click “LIKE” to begin receiving free social media/Facebook content on radio and social media. Go to the right-hand top of http://www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com to sign up to get this actual social media – radio content sent directly to your smart phone or email about once a week. Check out past content @ http://www.rainmakerpathway.com and take time to enjoy your life. It’s just radio. I love it, but a job will never love you back. Invest in people.
Loyd Ford is the Direct Marketing, Ratings & Social Media Strategist for Americalist Direct Marketing and works with local radio clusters to launch and grow significant local-direct reoccurring digital revenue with Rainmaker Pathway Consulting. He works with media brands all across the country to improve ratings and participation with custom contest strategy, telemarketing, strategic direct mail and social media for radio clients and he works directly with clients to boost significant local-direct digital revenue for local clusters. His interests include social media, digital local-direct revenue and non-traditional revenue for radio. And, yes, he believes you should be receiving more share of digital revenue in your local radio market along with higher ratings. Don’t just read. Get engaged in the process. Contact him directly @ 877.475.6864 or Americalist1@aol.com.