Radio, in some corners of our industry, seems to be confused about social media. However, radio is the original modern social media and you can prove this to yourself in only a few seconds. If you think it, radio has always connected local groups and brought communities together by helping local listeners and local advertisers. We haven’t just broadcast to local communities. We’ve done remotes, events, concerts, promotions, after-work parties, nightclub events, and much more. Facebook and Twitter are still the new kid on the block in this regard. However, they offer radio transformational tools that can help us extend what we do if we work smart and not just hard.
So, how do we move into social media space as the originators of social media so that our influence actually grows in local radio markets? The same way we approach the building, launching, and growth of a local radio station. Here are five ways to use social media as if you were local radio:
1. Determine the audience you most want to attract. Focus on what is most important and actionable to these people.
2. Decide not to just broadcast messages (spam) to them; engage them with valuable content that helps them, validates them, includes their opinion, and allows them influence.
3. Have fun with this audience by engaging them with what is fun about your radio station, format, product content, and how it relates to them. This can be done easily with videos shot at concerts or backstage or inside radio station events or special promotions. Again, focus on the listener experience and what this important life-group wants and finds entertaining.
4. Trail them back to their Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and even email if you can access it so you can validate them by compliment (on comments they have made on your website, Facebook page or comments, Twitter, et all). Then, develop relationship influence with them so that they feel they can influence your radio brand and what they hear.
5. Develop transformational relationship ties with the local listeners you find in social media that are most active and cheerlead for your media brands or others.
Now, go have fun out there with local listeners. Give ‘em some love from local radio and care about their busy lives. Give them benefits for getting closer to you. You’ll look like a guru, but you and I will know you are just the same cool radio personality you were before Facebook thought they invented being social.
*Content originally appeared @ RadioInk.com. For more content on radio, go to RadioInk.com. Look for my column on social media and radio on the left-hand side of the homepage behind my picture and the word “Engagement.”
Go to http://www.Facebook.com/socialnetworking4radio and then click “LIKE” to begin receiving free social media/Facebook content on radio and social media. Go to the right-hand top of http://www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com to sign up to get this actual social media – radio content sent directly to your smart phone or email about once a week. Check out past content @ http://www.rainmakerpathway.com and take time to enjoy your life. It’s just radio. I love it, but a job will never love you back. Invest in people.
Loyd Ford is the Direct Marketing, Ratings & Social Media Strategist for Americalist Direct Marketing. He works with media brands all across the country to improve ratings and participation with custom contest strategy, telemarketing, strategic direct mail and social media for radio clients. His interests include social media, digital local-direct revenue and non-traditional revenue for radio. And, yes, he believes you should be receiving more share of digital revenue in your local radio market along with higher ratings. Contact him directly @ 877.475.6864 or Americalist1@aol.com.